Photocatalytic oxidation is the process which depends on the following criteria.
- The processes are gaining importance in the area of wastewater treatment.
- These processes result in complete mineralization with operation at mild conditions of temperature and pressure.
- Most importantly sunlight or near UV light can be used as a source of irradiation.
Application of Photocatalytic oxidation
This oxidation has been used successfully for the degradation of below systems.
- Aliphatic alcohols.
- Aliphatic carboxylic acids.
- Phenolic compounds,
- Pesticides etc.
Drawbacks of this oxidation system |
- There are some drawbacks. It hamper the successful application of this oxidation on an industrial scale economically.
- The most important thing is the lack of engineering design and operation strategies for large scale operation.
- Very low reaction rates of this oxidation process for complex effluents.