Here is a brief description of Fenton Chemistry and Application
- The oxidation system based on the Fenton’s reagent (Hydrogen peroxide in the presence of a ferrous salt) works on the principle of the in-situ formation of reactive oxidizing species.
- The nature of the reactive species till to be known.
- There are three main reactive species have been considered for the oxidation of pollutants.
- Two of them involve in the presence of hydroxyl radical
- Third one is to be the aqua or organo-complexes of the high valence iron, the ferryl ion.
Application of Fenton Chemistry
Fenton’s reagent has been effectively used for remediation of
◦Removal of colour from dyes industries
◦Destruction of organics such as 2,4,6 trinitrotolune, 2,4 dinitrophenol etc.
But this method is not universal as there are many chemicals are refactory to this reagent such as acetic acid, acetone etc.