Scouring is the process by which all natural and adventitious impurities such as oil, wax, fat etc are removed to produce hydrophilic and clean textile material.
Objectives of Scouring Process:
- To make the fabric highly hydrophilic.
- To remove impurities such as oil, wax, fat, cotton seeds etc.
- To make the fabric ready for next operation.
Forms of Scouring/ Types of Different Scouring:
- Fabric Scouring
- Rope form ( Keir Boiler)
- Open width Form ( Continuous Machine)
- Yarn Scouring:
- Hank form
- Package form
- Continuous Sheet warp form
Scouring process depends on:
- The type of cotton
- The color of cotton
- The cleanliness of cotton
- Twist and count of yarn
- The contraction of fabric
The changes occurs of cotton fabric during Scouring:
- Oil are converted into soap
- Proteins are hydrolyzed into soluble degradation product.
- Simple amino Compounds are dissolved or hydrolyzed to ammonia.
- Pectose and Pectins are changed soluble salt of pectic acid.
- Mineral matter is dissolved.
- Unsoapiniable oils and waxes are emulsified by the soluble soap.
- Dust particles are removed or break down.