Work Study is the systematic examination of the method of caring on activities so as to improve the effective use of resources and to set up standard of performance for the activities being carried out.
Work Study is the systematic examination of an operation or process to ensure the best possible use of the human & material resources available.
Aims of Work Study:
- To eliminate wastage time & labor.
- Improve productivity.
- Simplify method of work.
- To reduce fatigue & boredom of work.
- To find the best way of the job.
- To have the more utilization of machineries & worker.
- To improve the design of the work place layout.
- To standardize the method obtained after conducting the method study.
- To train the individual operators or its practice as per standard methods.
Advantages of Work Study:
- Continuous improvement
- Method of reduce wastage
- Use of resources effectively
- Improve the professional life
- Exceeding customer expectation
What is the scope of Work Study?
Now let us look at the total procedure of work-study, containing of method study and time study in details in the form of a flow chart.
Work-study can be used to measure the following:
- Machine Efficiency losses by cause
- Loss of labour utilization by cause
- Percentage utilization of plant and equipment.
Why do we carryout work-study?
In the industrial situation the purpose of work-study is to provide management with information to make decisions. Some of these decisions or purposes are-
- To set the standards of production and production efficiency so that they can monitor their won performance.
- To increase productivity and reduce costs.
Data established by work-study can be used,
- In planning production.
- In costing products.
- To provide production standards per worker or per machine.
- To determine optimum machine assignments and lay out (i.e. the number of automatic machines which one operative can attend)
- To determine correct staffing levels for a specified volume of production.
- To provide the basis for constructing incentive schemes.