The fiber which is obtained by chemical synthesis, called synthetic fiber.
The fiber which is converted from natural polymer into synthetic polymer is called regenerated fiber. In other words, the fiber which is obtained by conversion of natural fiber by chemical process is called Regenerated Fibers.
Sequence of ‘Man Made’ fiber production:
Manufacture of the Fiber forming Polymer:
All man made fibers are composed of long chain molecule known as polymer which are formed by chemical processing. The polymer manufacturing process is determining the factor for many basic characteristics, such as density, melting point, dyeing behavior, moisture absorption etc.
Properties Required for fiber forming polymer:
- Molecular weight should be high.
- Medium crystalline.
- Resistance to different chemicals.
- Orientation, Following are suitable
- Straight chain structure,
- Physical and chemical symmetry.
- Tg ( Glass transition Temperature ) should be near to the room temperature.
- Tm ( Melting Temperature ), 200-300 degree Celsius is suitable.
- Hydroscopic nature should be hydrophilic.
- Polymer should be soluble in some solvent from which it can be spun.