An acrylic fiber is a polymer that contains at least 85% by mass acrylonitrile monomers. Acrylic fibers are constructed fibers fabricated from a polymer (polyacrylonitrile) with an boilerplate atomic weight of ~100,000, about 1900 monomer units. To be alleged acrylic in the U.S, the polymer have to accommodate at atomic 85% acrylonitrile monomer. Typical comonomers are vinyl acetate or methyl acrylate. The Dupont Corporation created the aboriginal acrylic fibers in 1941 and trademarked them beneath the name Orlon.
Properties of acrylic & modacrylic fibres:
Main performance: acrylic cilia has abounding accomplished properties, abbreviate cilia leavening, soft, wrinkled, attending and feel is actual abundant like wool. Acrylic is the different characteristics of thermoelastic (shrink), yield advantage of this appropriate can be candy bulked yarns. Lightfastness and weatherability of acrylic cilia is one of the best in bolt fibers. Acrylic acerbic is better, added abiding to oxidants and amoebic solvents, poor acrid resistance, if analysis with adulterate acrid or ammonia to yellow, to concentrated acrid analysis is getting destroyed.
Acrylic vs Modacrylic fibre:
|Flammability||More Flammable||Less Flammable|
|Tenasity||Staple: 2-3 g/d
Wet: 4.5 g/d
Dry: 5 g/d
|Used in Filament
Dry: 3.2 g/d
Wet: 5.2 g/d
|Elongation||Dry 16% & Wet 17%||Dry & Wet: 33-37%|
Acrylic fibre characteristics:
- Outstanding wick ability & quick drying to move moisture from body surface.
- Flexibility aesthetics for wool-like, cotton-like or blended appearance.
- Easily washed retains shape.
- Resistance to moths, oil & chemicals.
- Dye ability to bright shades with excellent fastness.
- Superior resistance to sunlight degradation.
- Making polymerization in solution
- Direct feeding of the dope to spinning
- Wet spinning
- DMF as solvent for both polymerization and spinning
Acrylonitrile is the crucial raw actual for producing of acrylic fibres. It is fabricated by altered methods. In one bartering method, hydrogen cyanide is advised with acetylene:
Ethylene Air Oxidation Ethylene oxide + HCN Ethylene cyanohydrins Dehydration at 300 deg C (catalyst) Acrylonitrile
Some major Acrylic fibre uses:
- Apparel: Sweaters, socks, fleece wear, circular knit apparel, sports wear & children’s wear.
- Home furnishings: Blankets, area rungs, upholstery, pile; luggage, awnings, outdoor furniture.
- Industrial uses: Asbestos replacement; concrete & stucco reinforcement.
- Other uses: Craft yarns, sail cover cloth, wipe cloths.